Yelds about 4 cups
Roasted Bone Marrow
1 lb grass-fed beef marrow bones
Salt & pepper - taste to your liking
- 8 cups water
- 1 tsp whole black peppercorns
- 1 tsp pickling spice
- 1/2 tsp Himalayan salt
- 1 large carrot, cut into 2-3 pieces
- 2 garlic cloves, smash it up
- 1 onion, cut into large chunks
- 1 celery rib, cut into 2-3 pieces
- a big handful of fresh parsley
To make the Roasted Bone Marrow
- Preheat the oven to 425F
- Place the marrow bones on top of parchment paper in deep baking dish.
- Salt and pepper all sides of the bones
- Roast the bones in the oven for about 10-12 minutes, until they turn golden and marrow becomes soft. Be careful not to overcook the bones at this point or your marrow will end up completely melting down. You want the marrow soft not melted away.
- While the bones are roasting you can start in the broth. Once the bones are done roasting you can remove them from oven.
- Add all the ingredients into a large stockpot or large saucepan.
- Once your roasted bones are done throw them in the pot along with all the rest of the ingredients.
- Bring to a vigorous boil then lower heat, partly cover and simmer for 2 hours.
- Strain through a fine mesh sieve and use it your favorite recipes. (Dutch Oven: Leg of Lamb)