Things sugar can do to your brain:
Some evidence suggests that a high-sugar diet might lead to impaired cognitive function.
Animal studies indicated that high-sugar diets may impair normal brain function.
Disruption of normal brain function may include decreased cognitive function.
Sugar is extremely addictive!
7 Day Challenge...
Three Steps to Get Started
1. Eat 25 grams or fewer a day of added sugar (that’s 6 teaspoons).
2. Cut out hidden and artificial sugars.
3. Focus on eating lean proteins, healthy fats, and unprocessed carbohydrates.
Foods with natural sugars like fruit are fine to eat.
It’s the high-fructose corn syrup in sodas and cereal. The hidden sugars, like the artificial sweetener we put in our coffee, or the sugars in unexpected places like pasta sauce, smoothies, and flavored oatmeal.
DON’T add sugar to your food. That means no sweeteners in your coffee and tea: you can add whole milk, which has natural sugars.
NO jam, honey, agave or dried fruit in oatmeal.
Make unsweetened oatmeal instead (you can cook it in milk for natural sweetness), then add a sprinkle of cinnamon on top. Yum!
DON’T eat packaged goods that have more sugar than fiber. Read your food labels!
DON’T have sugary drinks like soda, juice or sports drinks. It's water, tea, coffee or seltzer water.
DON’T use bottled salad dressings, pasta sauce, pizza sauces and condiments like ketchup or bbq sauce. If you look at the ingredient list, sugar should NOT be in the first three ingredients.
Things you CAN do to help ease the transition.
1. Eat lean proteins (such as chicken, fish, bison). If you include some protein in every meal, it will make it more satisfying and keep you from craving sweets.
2. Eat healthy fats (avocado, eggs, olive oil, and nuts). Fats take more time to digest, so you’ll feel satiated for longer.
3. Eat whole grains, legumes, and seeds like brown rice and quinoa. Skip the simple carbs like white rice, breads, and pasta.
4. Eat fresh fruit, but no more than 3 pieces of whole fruit a day. You will get a nice dose of fiber with whole fruits!
5. Give yourself a daily intentional treat like a square of dark chocolate. Don’t totally deny yourself, or your new eating plan won’t be sustainable. You do not have to do this part, but knowing you CAN have it seems to lessen the "pain".
Remember you always have a choice. Choose wisely. :)
Integrity Health is a franchise company residing in New Hampshire. We specialize in health coaching centers combining fitness with weight loss to optimize and promote optimal health. We are also the national purveyors of the EZCOACH Fitness Prescription System licensed by fitness professionals.
Integrity Video Archives
Directions To Integrity Locations
Coach Log In
New Hampshire Location Pages